Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Azam

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Inside Low Kicks - Hajime Kazumi (Kyokushin Technical Breakdown)

The 'inside low kick' is probably one of the most underrated & under-developed techniques in all of martial arts in my opinion. It has many useful applications but generally isn't given the amount of time needed. This thread is just for those of you who want to work on your inside low kicks & improve them, as well as discuss all things 'inside low kicks.'

So I thought I'd just post some technical knowledge I have of the 'Inside Low Kick' (from a Kyokushin karate perspective) by analysing the master of 'Inside Low Kicks' himself & probably one of the most prolific inside & outside low kickers in the history of Kyokushin Karate - Hajime Kazumi.

The inside low kick in my eyes, is one of the most versatile kicks that can be learnt; it has many different applications which take a lot of time to learn. Generally you only see one application of the inside low kick, which is just to cause damage like you would a low kick, thatís because the other variations of this kick require a lot of dedication & time to perfect Ė you may be able to pull other variations of this kick in sparring but itís a completely different thing when your fighting for real with a resisting opponent at a 100%.

Before I talk about the applications, I think it might be abit prudent to introduce those of you to Hajime Kazumi incase you don't know who he is because I'm going to be talking about the way he does 'inside low kicks.' Theres a video below that just gives you a brief intro to the way he fights (which is predominantly straight punches, hooks, uppercuts, low kicks - that's it).

So letís take a look at the applications:

1. To cause damage:

This is probably the most common way of using an inside low kick. Note that you rarely see someone getting TKO'd by inside low kicks - so how does Kazumi do it? Obviously the first thing is constant inside low kicks, but a small technical detail which makes a huge difference in the power of an inside low kick & the number of kicks required is - The Supporting Leg.

If you look at the GIF above, you will notice that Kazumi is performing an inside low kick with his rear leg - now if you look at his lead leg - you will notice it's really opened up (almost like he is going to low kick the thigh), usually with the rear most people don't bother opening up the lead leg - but it makes a drastic difference in power to an inside low kick because by opening up the lead leg you get more of your hips involved in the inside low kick.

Also the placing of an inside low kick makes a huge difference to the effect felt by your opponent, if you watch the GIF above Kazumi is kicking the part of the inner thigh which is less thick & meaty, this is because your opponent will feel it alot more. Another thing imo it's better to really snap your leg with an inside low kick.

Note that when you open your lead leg like this, for a rear inside low kick, it becomes less linear looking - it looks more like a low kick to the thigh, but aimed at the inner thigh - the second application GIF below will show this.

2. Feinting a Low kick

If you read end of point no.1, you can see from this GIF what I meant by 'how opening the lead leg for a rear inside low kick - makes it look like a low kick to the thigh, looks less linear' - it looks as though its swinging instead of linear. If you throw inside low kicks in such a way when your opponent is shifting stance, because of the way your throwing the inside low kick - he may assume your throwing a kick to the thigh & check, in which case you can take him off balance - like Kazumi has done --- this also works well if you have really established your low kicks as well & your opponent is weary of them, in which case he may be fooled into checking assuming your going to low kick.

3. Off-Balance - Stance/Positioning

If your opponent has a weak stance or weak positioning, before an attack or after an attack or during an attack, you can exploit it with an inside low kick, using the technique Kazumi uses as I explained above - however there is a slight difference this time round. In this instance, the whole purpose of using an inside low kick is to take your opponent off balance - if he has a weak stance or weak positioning that's half the battle won, the next part is to make sure that you follow through on the inside low kick more - because Kazumi's technique requires opening up his lead leg (like a low kick), he can follow through to quite a degree, as can be seen in the first GIF in this point. It depends though on the amount of follow through you need which goes down to experience, but in both instances it's important to strike a few inches above the knee.

4. Defense

As can be seen in the above GIF, it can be very useful when your opponent attempts to charge & attack you - the reason why inside low kicks (Kazumi style) make good defense is because if you throw inside low kicks - (1) If your opponent attempts to throw any kick (even at gedan) it will result in him getting off-balance and most times falling on his butt - (2) It makes it hard for your opponent to set up any decent powered punch (if you throw inside low kicks with your hips open - i.e. more power & follow through) because he can't set his feet firmly (unstable foundation because of the inside low kicks - unless he arm punches - even then there is a chance you'll go off-balance) - whilst at the same time your causing damage & may get him off-balance.

If Kazumi's opponent in the above GIF, had attempted to throw a punch or a kick & Kazumi had put more of a follow through on his inside low kick, the result would have been his opponent falling over (which he nearly did).

NOTE: that this would only work as means of defense if someone is charging (i.e. moving to you with some speed) & attacking - it wouldn't work as a means of defense any other way.

5.Sweeping Chudan/Jodan kicks

This is pretty much common knowledge & self-explanatory.

Please add any knowledge you have about inside low kicks, or even how they are used in other martial arts like muay thai & kickboxing (any information from a different perspective would be useful since I practise inside low kicks alot).

EDIT: Will be writing an in-depth thread about different styles in Kyokushin Karate soon.

www.ikkensports.com ---- COMING SOON!
Azam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
ZGSON

Blue Belt

While I enjoyed watching those gifs and agree with some of the things you're saying, it's A LOT easier to throw hard and/or devastating inside leg kicks when one doesn't have to worry about getting punched in the face. If he were fighting in K1 he wouldn't get away with much of that if left as is.

I tend to use inside leg kicks more for set ups and moving my opponent as opposed to causing damage. Ideally causing damage would be good, but again the inside leg kick can be dangerous when punching is involved and you over commit to the leg. Using it as a distraction technique, I don't care if it lands all that clean or necessarily hard.

ZGSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Chillout010
Grrrr!!

Nice post. I especially liked:

4- I noticed this while training muay thai as well, and it works like a charm. Every time I'd spar an aggressive opponent I knew what I had to do: inside low kick. It'd stop them dead on their tracks and frustrate the hell outta them.

Also, by instinct, most of them would lower their hands to get their balance back giving you a short but great opening.

5- You need to have the right timing but just like #4, it works. I believe this is how Fedor kept stoping Crocop's lhk.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Azam

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGSON View Post
While I enjoyed watching those gifs and agree with some of the things you're saying, it's A LOT easier to throw hard and/or devastating inside leg kicks when one doesn't have to worry about getting punched in the face. If he were fighting in K1 he wouldn't get away with much of that if left as is.

I tend to use inside leg kicks more for set ups and moving my opponent as opposed to causing damage. Ideally causing damage would be good, but again the inside leg kick can be dangerous when punching is involved and you over commit to the leg. Using it as a distraction technique, I don't care if it lands all that clean or necessarily hard.
I agree partly with what your saying - I don't think the distance or timing would be soo much of a problem because he throws them from outside of punching range & sometimes he comes within punching range as well - I think it is applicable in K-1, the only thing that would need working on, is the guard during the technique - but I've seen Kazumi alter the guard himself during one of his instructionals to account for punches to the head, if I can find it on youtube I'll try and post it - but his guard was similar to the guard you'd have when throwing low kicks to the thigh - it seemed to work very well.

I don't think there would be any problem in over commiting with an inside leg kick, you see guys commit with low kicks to the thigh all the time (and Kazumi's technique is pretty similar) but with that you have the possibility of getting checked, with inside leg kicks you don't have that much worry & if you adjust the guard appropriately it shouldn't be a problem.

Even if you over-commited with the inside low kick like Kazumi - you could even add it as part of a combo to reduce the risk - if you over-commited with an inside leg kick you could add a spinning back fist which would fit really well (almost tailor made) or even a ushiro geri which I have been tampering with.

Also it's notoriously difficult to let off a punch when someone has committed to an inside leg kick - especially if you don't expect it & then try to react - you could put it in a combo to hide when you over-commit --- would lessen the likelyhood of eating punches.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Azam

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout010 View Post
Nice post. I especially liked:

4- I noticed this while training muay thai as well, and it works like a charm. Every time I'd spar an aggressive opponent I knew what I had to do: inside low kick. It'd stop them dead on their tracks and frustrate the hell outta them.

Also, by instinct, most of them would lower their hands to get their balance back giving you a short but great opening.

5- You need to have the right timing but just like #4, it works. I believe this is how Fedor kept stoping Crocop's lhk.
Thanks mate - I realised you could do that from watching Kazumi & tried it with an aggressive guy to, it worked really well as well.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Jukai

Silver Belt

It seems like his big secret is using his back leg to kick, instead of the front leg which people usually use.

Jukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Lucas Coradini
Professional Fighter

I remember Tyson Griffin was doing something like this in his fight against Hermes Franca... Kicking inside Hermes rear leg with HIS rear leg

very nice

Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Discipulus

Black Belt

You took my advice and wrote a Karate post. Awesome. An excellent read and technical breakdown. You should do more! I'm bookmarking this bad boy.

I notice something. Rather than pivoting and turning the hip over for the kick, he seems to just thrust the hip forward with a short little pivot or step to open the hips. Like these kind of short, chopping kicks.

Twitter: @BoxingBusch

Facebook: facebook.com/ConnorRuebuschMMA

heavyhandspodcast.com
Discipulus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Articplatypus

Blue Belt

Nice thread. It's great to see a fellow karate guy up in here.

There is a lot of low kicks in karate that are really great. I use them sometimes in sparring and they work well.

Articplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #10
Azam

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipulus View Post
You took my advice and wrote a Karate post. Awesome. An excellent read and technical breakdown. You should do more! I'm bookmarking this bad boy.

I notice something. Rather than pivoting and turning the hip over for the kick, he seems to just thrust the hip forward with a short little pivot or step to open the hips. Like these kind of short, chopping kicks.

Lol of course man, yeah the way he throws inside low kicks is vastly different from the norm, like you said as well he opens his hips with a step - but doesn't turn the hip otherwise it would be low kick instead he uses his hips to thrust like you mentioned - it makes a huge difference in the amount of power you can get from the kick.

Also I think Jukai hit the nail on the head as well, if you notice Kazumi always uses his rear leg for inside low kicks rather than the commonly used lead leg, even when the rear is used not many guys open their hips & hit like Kazumi instead they stay very linear - also notice that Kazumi always positions himself in such a way that he can fire rear inside low kicks almost immediately - one after the other - that takes alot of training with inside low kicks to achieve.

But I think you could definitely use this for MMA, K1 & maybe even muay thai - the only thing that would need to be altered would be the guard during the technique - I mentioned this before but I saw an instructional from Kazumi a while ago, where he himself changed the guard to account for punches to the head - it looked pretty identical to hand positioning you'd have when doing a low kick.