Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
nomilkforsanta
Nathan

vCash: 500
Focus on your physical qualities until you start going to a gym regularly. This will prevent you from developing bad technique and allow you to learn more at future classes by not being out of shape for the first few months.

Stretching (static & dynamic)
Agility (dot-dot mat & jump rope)
Strength (maximal strength & explosive strength)
Balance (one leg and one arm drills)
Energy System (running and sprinting)

nomilkforsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #12
troy cakeman

White Belt

where are you located

troy cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
kuromusha
There are no friendly civilians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaudevandamme View Post
What about 1 class a week of Sanda/Sanshou?

And about 2-3 classes a week of CRAPPY kickboxing in a class full of women?

My budget is low here and this is the best I can do apart of doing nothing.
Yelp is your best friend. You can find some good places with cheap prices. You just have to research. Also try not to limit your search to certain striking styles. Boxing gyms are generally cheap and have great instruction. Good karate gyms, not McDojos, also have really good prices.

kuromusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Charlitos1988

use the Bas Rutten workout routine even against the air it's useful, then you can hit with proper form and with speed, if you also add some footwork and some blocks (imaginary) you can develp good balance then use it on your sparring partner and you'll see the good results, that's what I do

Old 04-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
MightySparrow

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomilkforsanta View Post
Focus on your physical qualities until you start going to a gym regularly. This will prevent you from developing bad technique and allow you to learn more at future classes by not being out of shape for the first few months.

Stretching (static & dynamic)
Agility (dot-dot mat & jump rope)
Strength (maximal strength & explosive strength)
Balance (one leg and one arm drills)
Energy System (running and sprinting)
I agree on this.

I believe you will get much better instruction and progress much faster if you have a good coach who can show you how to do things and give feedback instead of trying to learn from a DVD. And even if you would learn something from watching a video, you would need sparring partners to turn the theory into practice.

Then again, boxing is actually cheaper than a normal gym or health club membership at least where I live. If money is the issue, maybe you could get an extra job and pay for boxing classes? I can guarantee that it will be a great investment

MightySparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
joeakrazo

Orange Belt

I think this is the karate guy in me but I think that there is a fair amount of striking you can learn by yourself.

joeakrazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
MightySparrow

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeakrazo View Post
I think this is the karate guy in me but I think that there is a fair amount of striking you can learn by yourself.
I guess shadow boxing can help you somewhat (or kata for karate maybe). But I also believe that this would require a decent foundation, which you can then build upon by repeating alone what you have learned. And I think it would be very difficult to get that foundation by watching DVDs compared with actually training with a coach and some sparring partners.

MightySparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
joeakrazo

Orange Belt

When I mean karate guy I mean a person that is detail oriented, that is happy with repeating the same movement 1,000 times over and over again. Not wanting to jump on to the next big thing because it looks cool. Perfection of a basic movement.

Unlike other skill based sports, striking poses no immediate threat to the user. If you pick up a barbell and try to squat there is a very REAL danger. Go into your living room and punch air and there are no immediate dangers to your life.

The key to learning a technique is to take it slow and not rush it. Being athletic and having good body awareness will also help tremendously.

Obviously you want to join a gym if at all possible.

joeakrazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
Frode Falch
Professional Fighter

striking is a contact sport..

Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
ChachiKiller

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frode Falch View Post
striking is a contact sport..
Isn't it only a sport if you are competing. When I was a kid, my brothers taught me how to fight. I then saw Rocky when I was 9. I trained by myself everyday. I took my brothers GI duffelbag and made a heavy bag. When I got in fights as a kid I did not have any problems. When I was 10 I went to the YMCA and learned boxing. Then I went to a gym when I was 11. I felt fairly prepped when I got there because I trained by myself.

JUst do it. It is initially about repitition. SOmeone will fix you later. Just stay out of the dance class.

One's ideology is in direct proportion from one's distance to the problem - unknown
ChachiKiller is offline   Reply With Quote