Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
CanadianLegKick

White Belt

vCash: 500
How effective is shotokan?

This is my first thread, so if theres already been one like this, sorry. Okay, well I have some wrestling experience, and im currently at orange belt in judo. My family is moving to some town with the only martial art being shotokan karate. Ive done another martial art for a bit (Dahn Moo Do) its kinda like hapkido. So, im wondering if its even worth it getting into shotokan?

thanks

WW: GSP, Diaz
LW: Diaz, BJ Penn
FW: Aldo
BW: Faber
CanadianLegKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
MayanFighter

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLegKick View Post
My family is moving to some town with the only martial art being shotokan karate. So, im wondering if its even worth it getting into shotokan?
I'm in the same boat as you mate.

*First of all... What your goals are? Blackbelt? MMA training? Self defense?

1).- Hell Yeah! Shotokan is good for self defense and learning stand up fighting.
2).- If you have an Orange belt in Judo, probably you should continue with that too
3).- Take a sample class, or watch some videos about this style of Karate, and see if you like it.

P.s. If you practiced, or watched Taekwondo trainings, you might see similarities at the begining. I've taken both, but never got to the Blackbelt, i will get back there when i'm done with Muay Thai. Good luck!

MayanFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
DS614

Brown Belt

Your question is wrong. Shotokan is a style, if Lebron James practiced Shotokan from the age of 5 he could destroy whole rooms of people like a Jet Li movie.

You should be asking about the instructor there, not the style. Would you learn Shotokan karate from the Machida's?? I would in a heartbeat.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
LEGS MAHONEY

Black Belt

It's as only as good as the person who is teaching it and the guy who's practicing it.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Xian
Banned

I assume the guy means effective in MMA, which I would like to know also, although have a feeling its not so effective from what I've read on here.

If you want to get into action moves however, Jean Claude Van Damme and Wesley Snipes both learned it and it seems awesome against hordes of useless hencemen as you work your way to the boss.

Xian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
LEGS MAHONEY

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian View Post
I assume the guy means effective in MMA, which I would like to know also, although have a feeling its not so effective from what I've read on here.
I think it would be wise to form an opinion based off of first hand experience rather than what one reads here. Usually people will just (coincidentally of course) harp on whatever they practice as being teh bestest ever and rag on whatever isn't hip at the moment.

Find a good teacher, learn it, cross train at an mma gym see how it works for you. Its the only way to get a definitive answer.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
CanadianLegKick

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayanFighter View Post
I'm in the same boat as you mate.

*First of all... What your goals are? Blackbelt? MMA training? Self defense?

1).- Hell Yeah! Shotokan is good for self defense and learning stand up fighting.
2).- If you have an Orange belt in Judo, probably you should continue with that too
3).- Take a sample class, or watch some videos about this style of Karate, and see if you like it.

P.s. If you practiced, or watched Taekwondo trainings, you might see similarities at the begining. I've taken both, but never got to the Blackbelt, i will get back there when i'm done with Muay Thai. Good luck!
Yea, Im talking about effectiveness in MMA. I have experience in that Dahn Moo Do art which I heard is similar to karate sparring (point sparring). I found it to be kind of useless. The only thing that I got out of it was proper form for kicks, and got better at countering.

And on your number 2, you said to continue judo, but when I move there is only going to be karate.

Last edited by CanadianLegKick; 12-11-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
td82394

Brown Belt

It's as effective as the person using it, just like any martial art. However, on a side note, if this is for MMA, you may want to consider cross training in the big 4 (boxing, mt, wrestling, & bjj) along with karate. If this is for teh streets, you may want to consider taking up track.

"I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool."
Still crazy after all these years >: D
td82394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
CanadianLegKick

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by td82394 View Post
It's as effective as the person using it, just like any martial art. However, on a side note, if this is for MMA, you may want to consider cross training in the big 4 (boxing, mt, wrestling, & bjj) along with karate. If this is for teh streets, you may want to consider taking up track.
I would love to cross train, the only problem is that my family moves alot. I havent really lived anywhere long enough to get a solid base going. I have around 2 years of wrestling, Ive done about a year of submission grappling. I have a yellow belt in a striking based martial art, and a orange belt in Judo. Once i move out and go to uni/college then im definately going to join an mma gym. The problem is, the only thing Im going to have available is shotokan karate. But, I guess some karate wouldnt hurt, its hell of a lot better than noting

Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Doughbelly
α-nerd, general purpose

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLegKick View Post
I would love to cross train, the only problem is that my family moves alot. I havent really lived anywhere long enough to get a solid base going. I have around 2 years of wrestling, Ive done about a year of submission grappling. I have a yellow belt in a striking based martial art, and a orange belt in Judo. Once i move out and go to uni/college then im definately going to join an mma gym. The problem is, the only thing Im going to have available is shotokan karate. But, I guess some karate wouldnt hurt, its hell of a lot better than noting
I don't know what your situation is but my as a military kid, I moved every 9 mos - 2 years.

This kind of situation can work to your advantage if you have good, strong guidance from well experienced people. I suggest you sit down and talk about your goals with an older person you trust and respect - brother, uncle, father, cousin, friend of the family, teacher, coach, whomever - and see if this is a worthwhile option for you.

Your other option if you're moving out to the sticks is to just work on your general fitness and/or a team sport. I've trained/coached college/university clubs before and taken first year students to national levels in more than one discipline. In general, I'd prefer a generally fit and flexible novice with good hand-eye coordination and who knows how to take a hit (football/hockey) than someone with 1-2 years of no-contact experience.

Doughbelly is offline   Reply With Quote