Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
ringosher

White Belt

vCash: 500
How do you defend against flurry of punches?

Say your opponent charges at you and keeps punching non stop jab cross jab cross. Say he has a slightly longer reach.

How do you defend?

1.Move sideways/45 degress back (out of line of punches) and counter.
2.Guard, move in/side, and unload on him.

What else?

ringosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
atecubanos

Orange Belt

Having good counters, as a power jab;
clinching;
front knee or kick;
moving to the sides.

atecubanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
sk00pie

White Belt

There are several ways to defend againts a flurry from an agressive fighter. Foot work, timing, and countering I'd say being most important.

A friend I frequently spar against is bigger and more agressive then me, always throwing flurries of 1-2 punches. What I found works the best is catching a punch then instantly throwing a punch with the same hand you used to parry with. Example, he throws a left hand, parry with your right then instantly throw your right hand after you parry. Of course this wont have much power but your chances of connecting are high and also a good chance it will interupt and stop his flurry.

sk00pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
TheBruteFist

Orange Belt

i would dip to one side come up with a bodyshot followed by a hook. Or guard up and dig my way straight inside and come up with an upper to the jaw since the straights are really useless from inside

TheBruteFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Edison Carasio

Black Belt

Double leg FTW

Edison Carasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
ColonelAngus1

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio View Post
Double leg FTW
/thread

ColonelAngus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Azam

Purple Belt

From a stand-up perspective you could either;

1. Step in & clinch or knee then clinch.

2. Create adequate space & sweep him - which is usually what I opt for - ashi barai works well in situations like this - usually when someone is charging at you, their legs imo are the weak spot - even a well timed inside leg kick would be enough to put them off-balance.

3. Use lateral/circular movement like alot of guys have mentioned - stops guys who want to close the distance & counter.

4. Lead him into a well timed counter - which would also be something I'd opt for - since he's already got some momentum, defensively if you get it right, it would be hard for your opponent to avoid your strike because of the momentum he's generated - usually anything that comes under the guard is usually well-advised - me personally would probably be a mae geri (front kick), a parry followed by a straight - something Machida is quite fond of or a do-mawashi kaiten geri (wheel kick) a la Kyokushin style.

5. If your a dirty fighter kick him in the groin & say it was an accident....

Azam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
cOugAr_LIbRe_85

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azam View Post
From a stand-up perspective you could either;

1. Step in & clinch or knee then clinch.

2. Create adequate space & sweep him - which is usually what I opt for - ashi barai works well in situations like this - usually when someone is charging at you, their legs imo are the weak spot - even a well timed inside leg kick would be enough to put them off-balance.

3. Use lateral/circular movement like alot of guys have mentioned - stops guys who want to close the distance & counter.

4. Lead him into a well timed counter - which would also be something I'd opt for - since he's already got some momentum, defensively if you get it right, it would be hard for your opponent to avoid your strike because of the momentum he's generated - usually anything that comes under the guard is usually well-advised - me personally would probably be a mae geri (front kick), a parry followed by a straight - something Machida is quite fond of or a do-mawashi kaiten geri (wheel kick) a la Kyokushin style.

5. If your a dirty fighter kick him in the groin & say it was an accident....
damn when did you go to a Kongo seminar?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
ringosher

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk00pie View Post
There are several ways to defend againts a flurry from an agressive fighter. Foot work, timing, and countering I'd say being most important.

A friend I frequently spar against is bigger and more agressive then me, always throwing flurries of 1-2 punches. What I found works the best is catching a punch then instantly throwing a punch with the same hand you used to parry with. Example, he throws a left hand, parry with your right then instantly throw your right hand after you parry. Of course this wont have much power but your chances of connecting are high and also a good chance it will interupt and stop his flurry.
I spar boxing with a guy who is like that as well. He has a longer reach, and just keeps jabbing and crossing the entire session,i.e. 40 jabs/cross until you are out of the mat.

The parry and hit back is about the only thing that works well for me. I parry his jab with my right hand, and immediately close the distance for a strong hook (gets him every time) and now it is my turn unload a flurry on him non stop.

I can move left or right but he is a good boxer and he changes direction and follows me instantly so basically there is no window of opportunity to counter from 'outside the traffic'.

ringosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
J Mill

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio View Post
Double leg FTW
winning