Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
Leg lock

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Hits on the ear dangerous?

I was in training yesterday. I was sparring whit my instructor. And i ducked or somethin and got hit straight to the ear. Then i heard something like sounds of the ocean in my ear for about 2 hours. And still it feels that i dont hear as good from the ear that got punched. And it feels like when your airplane when you ears get locked. So are hits to the ear dangerous? Has this happened to anyone else?

“Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain”

WAR Rampage
Leg lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Kosh
Banned

Never hapened to me... Don't think it's that dangerous... Was it light sparring, or was your instructor applying some force in his moves?

Kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
Sohei
Too swole to control

He might have popped your eardrum

Old 01-04-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
Leg lock

Blue Belt

It wasnt full force but the hit was perfect. It hit directly to the ear. Just medium sparring i would say. I dont think it is dangerous. And i think this my problems whit hearing things will pass. Just thinking what if the hit would have been full force. Could strong hit to the ear damage ear permanetly?

“Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain”

WAR Rampage
Leg lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Kosh
Banned

I guess... I'm not a doctor, but seems possible to me...

Kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
KidKimura

Yellow Belt

If it keeps happening then see a doctor man, cos a burst ear drum is pretty serious, wouldn't worry too much if it was a one off tho, its happened to me a couple of times in the past, its just like ur ears popping really bad. But if it isnt going away then it might be more serious

KidKimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Fawkes

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg lock View Post
It wasnt full force but the hit was perfect. It hit directly to the ear. Just medium sparring i would say. I dont think it is dangerous. And i think this my problems whit hearing things will pass. Just thinking what if the hit would have been full force. Could strong hit to the ear damage ear permanetly?
Sounds like a burst ear drum then. Your ear drum can puncture if your hit directly on your ear because the air pushed in by the glove has no openings to escape out of, so it puts pressure on the inside of your ear.

Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
RytroSpyk
Giallorosso

vCash: 50
Really , Really hurts to pop your ear drum.

“The Spurs play basketball the way your dad fights.” - Bill Burr
RytroSpyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
euro1255

White Belt

If you are suffering from Naus/vomiting/ balance/ dizziness you should go see a provider. Potentially ruptured your TM. and it could be the start of Califlower ear...

euro1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
blackandblue

Yellow Belt

You can go deaf if someone slaps your ear hard enough.