Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
juntjoo

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
hit friend in the ear now he can't hear!

yeah, so we were sparring and he's a bit new and suddenly dropped all technique and went swinging for a knockout and my pride wouldnt let me slow us down and i hit him good in the ear enough for him to go down and now he can't hear. it's been a couple hours. is this normal? how long should i wait to take him to the hospital? if this is normal what is the treatment? thanks.

juntjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Eduardo R.
Amateur Fighter

Um, you should take him to the hospital now because you probably broke his eardrum.

Eduardo R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Kpro
Banned

It's probably a ruptured eardrum. It'll heal on it's own in 1-2 weeks, hearing should come back well before then though. Probably worth a visit to the doctor if it hurts too, in case it did any other damage.

Kpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
Tristan Riley
Amateur Fighter

Train responsably! And go to the doctor, if you hit him hard enough in the head to drop him its not a bad idea for him to get checked anyway.

Tristan Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
juntjoo

Orange Belt

dont fighters get knocked out on a regular basis?

Old 06-01-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
Eduardo R.
Amateur Fighter

Is this a joke?

Eduardo R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:19 AM   #7
juntjoo

Orange Belt

sorry, i was on the phone when i made my last reply. Don't fighters get knocked down/out on a regular basis in training? I'm serious. I don't know. I"ve never been to a real gym where pros train, but I've heard of some gyms in MMA where they say they knock eachother out, like chute box and maybe others... I don't know. you guys tell me. I'm sorta looking forward to it for the experience, though I work hard on defense, but I want to condition myself for hard strikes, so wouldn't I(and pro fighters more so) have to get hit pretty hard?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:21 AM   #8
Toblerone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
how long should i wait to take him to the hospital?
Never take affirmative action. You are best to wait as long as possible. At the very least, wait it out until blood and brain matter is visible coming out on the carpet, then you will know it is time to take him to the hospital.. Or, try asking him by speaking into his other ear, his working ear, if he feels like going to the hospital, or if he feels any sort of pain or discomfort. Your next move depends on what his answer may be, and if you guys have shoes, be ready to put them on before you head outside.

Toblerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
eLbo85

Blue Belt

what you are doing is not only stupid but very dangerous.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Alpha Dog
Premium Dancer Belt

Try to hit him a few more times it might come back.

Franky Four Fingers: So the biblical scholars mis-translated the Hebrew word for "young woman" into the Greek word for "virgin," which was a pretty easy mistake to make, since there is only a subtle difference in the spelling. But back then it was the "virgin" that caught people's attention. It's not every day a virgin conceives and bears a son. So you keep that for a couple of hundred years, and the next thing you know, you have the Roman Catholic church.
Alpha Dog is offline   Reply With Quote