Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Showman

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Getting Cornered

Hey guys,

I train muay thai and at my gym, most of the guys are bigger then me. I'm about 5'9 and 155 lbs. The guys that I usually get to spar with are over 6 feet and around 200 lbs. So, when we're sparring, I'm the one sticking and moving, but every round, I get cornered at least twice and eat a lot of shots.

Is there any way that I can avoid getting cornered? Should I go on the offensive when I'm close to being cornered? How can I improve my footwork to prevent this? Also, when I'm in the corner and eating shots, I tend to just go into a shell and miss any counterstriking opportunities for fear of getting hit more. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
JKkiM**
Banned

Don't back peddle. I know it's difficult, but you can't. Juke the bigger guys, you have higher agility than they do (or you should). Pretend to go to one way, suddenly go to the other and back to the center. Re-engage. Circle around him, but don't back peddle. You can't back peddle against bigger fighters.

JKkiM** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Ender Wiggin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKkiM View Post
Don't back peddle. I know it's difficult, but you can't. Juke the bigger guys, you have higher agility than they do (or you should). Pretend to go to one way, suddenly go to the other and back to the center. Re-engage. Circle around him, but don't back peddle. You can't back peddle against bigger fighters.
I disagree that he "should" be more agile than the bigger guys, but I do soundly agree with your advice.

TS you cannot backpedal. The key to fighting taller opponents is being INSIDE their range of attack. Where you are within arms reach but their arms cannot fully extend. This turns their reach advantage into a huge speed and power disadvantage.

I find a jab (same hand) hook combination works well to close the distance. Also if you judge their punching range well enough you should be able to kick, whilst still being outside their effective punching range.

As a shorter fighter you must aggresively pursue openings in your opponents defense. Body shots are more easily available and a good shot to the liver is worth just as mush as a clean shot on their chin.

Hope I helped.

Ender Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Showman

Blue Belt

Thanks for the advice guys.

@JKkiM, yeah, it is somewhat difficult not to backpeddle when I'm trying to move away from the bigger guy. And then when I do try to "juke" my way out, I eat a few shots in the process.

@Ender Wiggin, right now I find it difficult to fully committ to combinations when inside. I'm able to step in, jab, and step out before getting hit due to my speed advantage and I'm also able to land a lot of leg kicks as the opponent tries to chase me down. But the problem I find when closing the distance and trying to throw combos inside, is that the taller and stronger fighter is able to get me in the clinch and throw some knees and throw me around.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
Boran

Orange Belt

I agree with the above. Don't go backwards, but move to the side if your partner attacks.

When you are cornerered, teep and move out, or my favorite, left jab and left hook and circle out.
If you're good at clinching, drag them into the clinch, knee to the side and place your foot on the outside of your partner, then switch sides and you'll have him cornered. However, I often find it hard to clinch with taller, heavier guys.

Boran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Marvin Covar
Amateur Fighter

You have to be aware of where you are in the ring at all times, positional awareness is good to have. When you feel you're about to be cornered, circle away and position yourself in a better spot.

Marvin Covar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
ChachiKiller

Purple Belt

Throw a blast type attack to get your opponents to stick their hands up then slide outside. You have to mix that up with just trying to circle out.

One's ideology is in direct proportion from one's distance to the problem - unknown
ChachiKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Showman

Blue Belt

@Boran, I try to avoid clinching with the bigger guys. Like I said, the guys I spar with have atleast 30 lbs on me, so they're able to ragdoll me if I'm not prepared and their height advantage allows them to knee me more easily.

@Marvin, thanks, yeah, it's just something I have to work on I guess. It's just that, I'm usually the one being stalked down in the ring and I know the other guy is trying to cut me off to put me in that corner. So, I do circle away, but each time I do so, I can feel the distance between me and the corner getting smaller and smaller until eventually I'm eating shots in the corner.

@ChachiKiller, can you elaborate on what you mean by "blast type attack" please?

Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Tebowned

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
I'm the opposite, what does he do to corner you? ai need help on that

Old 03-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
Showman

Blue Belt

What do you mean? The opposite in terms of size advantage or not being able to cut off the ring?