Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
JackLancewell

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Friction+Weak skin=Blisters

Well, I have a tendency to get blisters from friction (like doing them crazy forward semi-circle things on the D-Pad on games) and it's pretty annoying. Now you will think "wtf is this kid posting in standup for?" Well, I was training the other day on low kicks, and the repeated friction of pivoting formed a blister on the ball of my foot which later opened up to my misfortune. Is there a way to prevent this? I'm looking into wrapping athletic tape around the area below my toes to protect the balls of my feet, but (1) what's the correct way to do it and (2) would it be bad since I wouldn't be able to condition the skin?

JackLancewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
ssullivan80
Black Dress Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLancewell View Post
Well, I have a tendency to get blisters from friction (like doing them crazy forward semi-circle things on the D-Pad on games) and it's pretty annoying. Now you will think "wtf is this kid posting in standup for?" Well, I was training the other day on low kicks, and the repeated friction of pivoting formed a blister on the ball of my foot which later opened up to my misfortune. Is there a way to prevent this? I'm looking into wrapping athletic tape around the area below my toes to protect the balls of my feet, but (1) what's the correct way to do it and (2) would it be bad since I wouldn't be able to condition the skin?
Ouch!!!! I actually had a similar problem when I began training. Good news, the blister means you're probably doing the kick correctly!

I did use athletic tape around the ball of my foot when I got blisters, it allowed me to continue training, but be carefull, those mats are slick as shit when you get that tape on your foot. I landed on my ass several times! Other option would be to get a pair of mat shoes......... I was to cheap for that option. However, once my foot healed I would go back to training without the tape and now it is no longer a problem. Good luck!

ssullivan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
TapSD
Killer Bee....1%

You need to get those blisters...keep working on it and your feet will callous up.the bottom of my feet might as well have treads on them cause they are so calloused

Old 06-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
gumby raptor

Orange Belt

I get blisters on my feet all the time and I have been doing some form of martial arts for over 10 years. 1 time in particular I was sparring (with no apparent blister forming up) and while side stepping with my left foot I slid my right foot into position and the skin on my right big toe just ripped off. I instantly threw off my shin guard and hopped to the restroom. It looked like someone sliced the bottom of my foot where the toe and the ball of the foot bend (i guess you could say). It was nasty, bleeding everywhere. I have baby feet i know. life goes on.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Stand-Up!

Yellow Belt

And you guys are on mats? I have very tender feet and cannot walk outside barefoot, but I have never got a blister on the bottom of my feet. I get them on the tops of my feet all the time when practicing takedowns. I don't know. I have never had the slightest discomfort with on soles of my feet.

Usually, the mat will dry your feet out temporarily and will kind of harden them.

Stand-Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
fightingrabbit

Red Belt

when i started boxing i got the sickest blisters. Now they're just unsightly callouses. I posted a thread wondering how i could manage them, i forget what peopel suggested though.

fightingrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
BU_MT

White Belt

Just fight through it. Everybody gets blisters during the beginning, it means your forming tougher skin so no big deal.

BU_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
NoSmilez

Brown Belt

easy to prevent. my old gym had wooden floors and i either used vasoline or a runner's stick on my foot.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
fightingrabbit

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSmilez View Post
easy to prevent. my old gym had wooden floors and i either used vasoline or a runner's stick on my foot.
whats runners stick?

fightingrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
gumby raptor

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand-Up! View Post
And you guys are on mats? I have very tender feet and cannot walk outside barefoot, but I have never got a blister on the bottom of my feet. I get them on the tops of my feet all the time when practicing takedowns. I don't know. I have never had the slightest discomfort with on soles of my feet.

Usually, the mat will dry your feet out temporarily and will kind of harden them.
I train on zebra mats. Its not the mats, its my feet. they fail me.