Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #31
Jukai

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePulley View Post
Lesson time with Kyle:

It is not racist to say: Chicken seems to be favoured by the black community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster dictionary
rac·ism noun \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\

racial prejudice or discrimination
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster dictionary
prej·u·dice noun \ˈpre-jə-dəs\

(1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge
Quote:
its just a common prejudice towards black people.
I originally had a humorous animated gif, but I don't even think this is that funny. Unless you can cite a study that shows that the "black community" is more prone to eating chicken than communities of other colors, you just made a racist statement. While you were trying to talk about the difference between racist statements and researched statements. Pathetic.

Last edited by Jukai; 02-23-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Jukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #32
KylePulley

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukai View Post
I didn't say I believed black people loved chicken, it was an example, and I admit a poor one.

Not sure where you got that definition, but being prejudice is not racism.

Would like to add though, there is often a lot of truth is prejudices, the problem is that people take them as an absolute law.

If i were black, and someone said "oh you must like chicken, cause I heard black people like chicken" that wouldn't upset me in the least. People just need to chill out, and stop calling racism all the time, over everything little thing. Like you guys are doing to me for no good reason.

Regards,

Kyle
KylePulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #33
KylePulley

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukai View Post
I originally had a humorous animated gif, but I don't even think this is that funny. Unless you can cite a study that shows that the "black community" is more prone to eating chicken than communities of other colors, you just made a racist statement. While you were trying to talk about the difference between racist statements and researched statements. Pathetic.
Like I stated before, it was a poor example. And that prejudice may or may not be true, it was wrong of me to post it.

However, I was not racist for posting it, I was prejudice for saying it.

A racist remark regarding chicken would be like...

"Black people eat chicken because they are poorer then average, probably cause by having less ambition than us white men."

Thats racist.

Regards,

Kyle
Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #34
Jukai

Silver Belt

Quote:
Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online
I think they make books.

Quote:
Would like to add though, there is often a lot of truth is prejudices, the problem is that people take them as an absolute law.
You're digging yourself deeper....

Quote:
Like I stated before, it was a poor example. And that prejudice may or may not be true, it was wrong of me to post it.

However, I was not racist for posting it, I was prejudice for saying it.

A racist remark regarding chicken would be like...

"Black people eat chicken because they are poorer then average, probably cause by having less ambition than us white men."

Thats racist.

Quote:
If i were black, and someone said "oh you must like chicken, cause I heard black people like chicken" that wouldn't upset me in the least. People just need to chill out, and stop calling racism all the time, over everything little thing. Like you guys are doing to me for no good reason.
You have absolutely no idea if that would make you upset. You're not black. You've grown up in the majority. I'm so glad you can sit on your god damn comfy computer chair and declare "if someone said a racist statement to me, I wouldn't make a big deal about it! My middle class suburban upbringing has caused me to be strong!" but the truth is, you have no idea how you'd act. You haven't lived that life, been bombarded by that perception every day. And before you spill out a bleeding heart story about growing up in some town or being in some program where you were the minority, spare me the fucking tears. I've taken enough from your posts to know it's absolute horseshit.

I've said my piece. I'm done with this thread. Not worth it.

Jukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #35
peanut66

Green Belt

Quote:
I didn't say I believed black people loved chicken, it was an example, and I admit a poor one.

why dont you test your theory in real life then ? go into a bar , walk up to complete strangers , who just so happen to be black , and ask them face to face what they think about chicken , and maybe read them your entire post , give them your reasoning , and see what happens?

and then go to another bar and ask some asians about their dick,, according to you , nobody should be offended

hey kyle , dont forget to bring video camera and get it on tape ,,, then we can critique your fighting abilities too ,,, you know , kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited by peanut66; 02-23-2012 at 11:25 AM.
peanut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #36
KylePulley

Blue Belt

Quote:
Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online
I think they make books.
it has 2 definitions posted...the first one was..

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

the second was yours...

The second one is wrong, I'm a commerce student and have taken A LOT of management courses and most of them had a section about racism and prejudices. Being prejudice is not being racist.

Quote:
You're digging yourself deeper....
Am I? Or are you just an idiot?

A lot of prejudices have truth in them, they just don't spawn magical over night. Here are some common one's backed up by evidence.

Pit bulls and Rottweiler are very dangerous dogs.

List of fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice the averages of rottweilers and pitbulls are higher....n

Old people can't drive well, females are safer drivers than males, young man drive recklessly. (these are all prejudices)

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003-.../10648-eng.pdf

Prejuidces are what make up most of our common sense...you still don't understand.

Quote:
You have absolutely no idea if that would make you upset. You're not black. You've grown up in the majority. I'm so glad you can sit on your god damn comfy computer chair and declare "if someone said a racist statement to me, I wouldn't make a big deal about it! My middle class suburban upbringing has caused me to be strong!" but the truth is, you have no idea how you'd act. You haven't lived the life that life, been bombarded by that perception every day. And before you spill out a bleeding heart story about growing up in some town or being in some program where you were the minority, spare me the fucking tears. I've taken enough from your posts to know it's absolute horseshit.
If I was the same person, but black I would know how it would make me feel. However if I was raised as a being black, I would probably be brainwashed by being told of all the horrible awful things white people did to blacks over and over and over causing a deep rooted hatred and suspicision of white people. Causing them to be overly defensive when it comes to race issues, paranoid if you will, of someone being racist towards them.

I guarantee, if you took a group of children and told them "the shade of your skin and how you look is all random, everyone is the same and it really doesnt matter the shade of you skin." And didn't tell anyone about racism, about how this culture, fucked this culture etc etc. Those kids would grow up with very very minimal cultural borders.

Your just another goon, part of the 99% of people on this planet don't understand whats going the fuck on.

Quote:
I've said my piece. I'm done with this thread. Not worth it.
Bye, maybe one day you'll wake up and realise what's happening in the world.

Regards,

Kyle
Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #37
KylePulley

Blue Belt

Quote:
why dont you test your theory in real life then ? go into a bar , walk up to complete strangers , who just so happen to be black , and ask them face to face what they think about chicken , and maybe read them your entire post , give them your reasoning , and see what happens?
Thats not the point, of course they would be offended...why? Because the general population is stupid and don't shit.

Quote:
and then go to another bar and ask some asians about their dick,, according to you , nobody should be offended
The asian thing would be offensive ether way, because its a private matter. I wouldn't ask anyone about their dick cause its not polite, not because its "racist" (which its not)

Quote:
hey kyle , dont forget to bring video camera and get it on tape ,,, then we can critique your fighting abilities too ,,, you know , kill two birds with one stone.
In all honestly, and you should know this if you train. I would completely destroy the average joe on the street, especially since I'm bigger, and would have a size advantage over most. (ie, if I was a 135 lbs and walked up to a 300lb linebacker and said "hey I heard black people like chicken, is that true?" I would have some problems even if I had a very considerable experience and technique advantage.)

Regards,

Kyle
Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #38
LEGS MAHONEY

Black Belt

vCash: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Dana is a hypocrite. His actions have definitely given a reasonable assumption that his demographic of preference is young white males, and he's put a lot more promotional effort towards caucasian fighters. He seemed decidedly at his happiest when every division's champion was white. If memory serves me that was Sylvia, Liddel, Franklin, Hughes, and Pulver. Quite a while ago, yes, but each of those guys were getting heavy promotion. Whereas he still doesn't really seem to like Anderson Silva all that much, and how long before Machida was even visible to audiences?.
I recall him being pretty bummed when Cain lost his belt as well as promoting the hell out of him and the la raza angle

Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #39
KylePulley

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Dana is a hypocrite. His actions have definitely given a reasonable assumption that his demographic of preference is young white males, and he's put a lot more promotional effort towards caucasian fighters. He seemed decidedly at his happiest when every division's champion was white. If memory serves me that was Sylvia, Liddel, Franklin, Hughes, and Pulver. Quite a while ago, yes, but each of those guys were getting heavy promotion. Whereas he still doesn't really seem to like Anderson Silva all that much, and how long before Machida was even visible to audiences?

Difference between Floyd and Dana is Floyd says racist shit, Dana may actually be doing racist shit.
Is your father Bob Arum?

0:29

Regards,

Kyle
Old 02-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #40
jensen34

Orange Belt

Technique wasn't bad, but he needs to improve his footwork. Hard to see since it only shows from his chest up, but I'm pretty sure he was flat footed the whole time.

jensen34 is offline   Reply With Quote