Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
AlexanderH

White Belt

vCash: 500
Critique my bag work :)

Hey guys, I'm pretty much a total beginner, I've got about 6 months experience in Muay thai. However, I've injured my foot so can't kick too much at the moment, so instead of not training I decided to work on my boxing as it's undoubtedly my weakest point. All critique welcome, keep in mind I'm a noob.

Working the bag - YouTube

Thanks

AlexanderH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
VonSupervillain
Banned

Turn your fist over at the end of your punches. Your body and head stay pretty stationary, even when throwing punches. Left hook is too much arm and telegraphed at times. Footwork gets sloppy and crossed and does not coordinate with the punches. Body seems tense and stiff.

Hand speed is pretty good. You do a good job at keeping your chin down and hands up.

VonSupervillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
AlexanderH

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSupervillain View Post
Turn your fist over at the end of your punches. Your body and head stay pretty stationary, even when throwing punches. Left hook is too much arm and telegraphed at times. Footwork gets sloppy and crossed and does not coordinate with the punches. Body seems tense and stiff.

Hand speed is pretty good. You do a good job at keeping your chin down and hands up.
Yeah, I'd agree that I know nothing at all about footwork, although I didn't think I had an issue with turning my hands over until now, haha. I'll definitely work on all of that, thanks.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
redpowder**

White Belt

you need way more body behind your punches

redpowder** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Drunkk

White Belt

Lean on ur back leg a little more. You leave ur face exposed alot. U look tense and you need to move your head more and work on footwork like pivoting and getting different angles

Drunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
uncommon

Blue Belt

You need a heavier bag, i thought i was tough shoulder snapping through 75 pound bags, then i got a 150 water filled then realized how much less power i had. That one looks like 45 pounds! I might throw up a youtube video here myself.

uncommon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
AlexanderH

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon View Post
You need a heavier bag, i thought i was tough shoulder snapping through 75 pound bags, then i got a 150 water filled then realized how much less power i had. That one looks like 45 pounds! I might throw up a youtube video here myself.
Yeah, it's light as shit. I live at university though, so I just have that crappy bag to work with while I'm at home during the holidays. I'm under no illusions that I have no power, I hit real bags at training, I'm lucky if they move an inch!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Wow Exuberant**
Banned

Bring back you're hand before you throw the other in you're flurries, I think it's called leaving the gate open

Wow Exuberant** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
VillArreal**
Banned

Embedded for lazy people.

VillArreal** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
uncommon

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderH View Post
Yeah, it's light as shit. I live at university though, so I just have that crappy bag to work with while I'm at home during the holidays. I'm under no illusions that I have no power, I hit real bags at training, I'm lucky if they move an inch!
Right, I thought I would just make a point that the light bags give an impression of correct form because you can feel the power transfer through with ease, but in reality if you were to hit a realistic target of over 150 pounds it feels like a brick wall and the effort to transfer through is so much greater. I think those leaning uppercuts/hooks you threw would fare well against heavier bag, but everything else I think would really fall short. You can try to force the power through by whipping back and head movement with your straight punches.

Last edited by uncommon; 04-01-2012 at 02:13 PM.
uncommon is offline   Reply With Quote