Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #21
MidnightSnacks**
Banned

vCash: 500
ive taught lots of people how to wrestle

in high school, i went to a brand new school. only had freshman and sophomores the first year. NOBODY had more than a year experience (sophomores that wrestled one year at a different school). the coach had 2 years of high school wrestling experience like 15 years before but was mainly a football coach who was just covering until they hired someone (but still stayed all 4 years i was there). i had already wrestled for like 7-8 years so i ended up teaching the practices that i was supposed to be training in. kinda stunted my training growth until i started training at a community college at night after HS practice. but in hindsight, i learned so much because every almost single kid on the team had a clone of my style so i go to see all the weaknesses and possibilities of my game lol.

ive taught people the basics of striking also, but i dont feel advanced enough to teach anything besides how to throw each strike.

MidnightSnacks** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #22
DaGenius

Black Belt

I have had a few people I helped learn and refine their muay thai basics. I wouldn't call them full students of "mine" as they still did normal class. Teaching is fun and is necessary, in my opinion, if you are serious about your art. Help those who need it

DaGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #23
Reinhard

Blue Belt

Short answer. Yes, I can teach someone how to defend themselves, but nowhere near to the degree of a coach.

Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #24
aries

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan80 View Post
That is far from a weakness, if anything, coming from a coaches perspective that is the "ideal" student mentality.
I meant in respect of being slower to learn as opposed to someone who just learns parrot fashion. I think when you're starting out too many questions can retard your progress. Also it depends on your coach (I've definitely tried the patience of a few of mine!). If you had the ideal coach then I guess it would be a good match with the ideal student.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
Midnighter
Antichrist

No, I couldn't.

Midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #26
Murlik

Purple Belt

The guy who said it takes two to tango was right. I could show my friends a few things but they'd have to be willing to listen, apply, and practice what I was teaching.

I don't think teaching my buddy fight stance and the 1,2 is going to do anything if he doesn't practice/spar with it.

Hendo
Murlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #27
ssullivan80
Black Dress Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries View Post
I meant in respect of being slower to learn as opposed to someone who just learns parrot fashion. I think when you're starting out too many questions can retard your progress. Also it depends on your coach (I've definitely tried the patience of a few of mine!). If you had the ideal coach then I guess it would be a good match with the ideal student.
I see, and there is such thing as too many questions. But a student who asks well thought out questions, and really wants to understand the "why" may not progress as fast through the basics and fundamentals. However, when it comes time to teach that student the more advanced and technical skills. That same student will be able to incorporate them faster and translate them more effectively in sparring than the guy who learned "parrot fashion". Simply because he learned the "why" vs. just the "how". Most guys with at least mediocre athletic ability can be taught proper technique through consistent repetition, it just becomes muscle memory at some point (i.e: the "how"). But a guy who asks questions and really thinks beyond the "how", will also learn the "why" and when it comes to effective application of learned techniques understanding the "why" is what makes a fighter a "thinking fighter", and a thinking fighter can make adjustments and adapt far better than a pre-programmed one can.

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."
- Ali
ssullivan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #28
Ramsey Dewey
Professional Fighter

I'm pretty good at training students to win within the parameters of specific sports. Over the years, I've coached a lot of athletes in various combat sports (taekwondo, kickboxing, boxing, sanda, MMA) and they have a pretty good track record.

However, self defense is a whole different skill set because of the unpredictability of the situation. There are so many additional variables that don't exist in combat sports that I personally don't feel qualified as a self defense instructor.

Sure, I can teach techniques that can work to injure, debilitate, or subdue an assailant, but usually when people ask me about self defense I'll just tell them to run or get a gun.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #29
D.R.H.

Short answer is yes.

D.R.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #30
Ethan

Blue Belt

Yes. It's my job.

Ethan is online now   Reply With Quote