Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
mjw1

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Choy Li Fut VS Muay Thai

"Choy Li Fut is the most effective system that I've seen for fighting more than one person. [It] is one of the most difficult styles to attack and defend against. Choy Li Fut is the only style [of kung fu] that traveled to Thailand to fight the Thai boxers and hadn't lost." –Bruce Lee

I saw this quote and was wondering when these fights may have taken place?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Snubnoze707
มวยไทย

I remember there was a post with a bunch of pictures from a Kung Fu vs Muay Thai event back in the 60's if I remember correctly, but all the Kung Fu guys got their ass kicked. Not sure what he's referring to though.

Snubnoze707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Jukai

Silver Belt

Don't know much about it other than it's a unification art of North/South Kung Fu. I question the Bruce Lee statement cause Bruce Lee didn't really talk in absolutes like that (and it only seems to be quoted out of one book and nothing else).

Still, I checked it out in youtube and you see a lot of Choy Li Fut fighters in Sanda and Muay Thai fights. They ain't cleaning house, but the fact that the fighters are able to compete in the tournaments like that says something about the art.

Jukai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
LEGS MAHONEY

Black Belt

Yeah not sure about it either but choy lay fut is one of the few kung fu styles where all the "families" of the system are well represented in kickboxing.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
AutoFire

Yellow Belt

I remember they used to talk about the choy le fut and the wing chun guys battling for who was the better Hong Kong fighters. Choy Le Fut is such a big system with tons of forms, weapons, wooden dummies and wing chun very compact and much shorter in terms of forms, weapons, dummy.

There were several kung fu vs muay thai fights in different periods and the muay thai guys won. But the kung fu guys were trying all the classical shit so they got stomped once they adopted the pseudo-muay thai modern sanda/sanshou they did alot better.

AutoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
GeoLaureate8

White Belt

I'd say Choy Lee Fut (Cai Li Fo) wins over Muay Thai. It would be too elusive for them.

It's also considered one of the 3 great martial arts of southern China: Hung Ga, Wing Chun, and Choy Lee Fut.

GeoLaureate8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
mjw1

Blue Belt

Yeah I've heard of the choy le fut vs wing chun roof top fights in hong kong as rivals before. However I was wondering about these fights bruce lee was talking about or perhaps there were a few kung fu guys who won and possibley were choy le fut who knows.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
Ryukyu Damashi
Matt Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoLaureate8 View Post
I'd say Choy Lee Fut (Cai Li Fo) wins over Muay Thai. It would be too elusive for them.

It's also considered one of the 3 great martial arts of southern China: Hung Ga, Wing Chun, and Choy Lee Fut.
lol

Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
KOPower24
Rocky Mountain Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoLaureate8 View Post

No. Choy Li Fut is a good fight style, but it cannot beat Muay Thai in a pure fighting sense. For fancy name it wins hands down though.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
mjw1

Blue Belt

I think the funny name comes from 3 people that the head dude learned from but not sure