Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
POPPA ROTZEE

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Brink Reviews Are A Mixed Bag, Some Thoughts - Voodoo Extreme

Quote:
Brink Reviews Are A Mixed Bag, Some Thoughts
May 10, 2011 at 12:05 AM - OhmWrecker - 45 Comments
Reviews for Splash Damage's Brink have begun to roll in now that the embargo has lifted, and they're either relatively accepting or quite negative. I was able to spend some time with the Xbox 360 version since the PC build was locked down until launch, enough time in fact that I completed all of the missions both online and offline and even managed to completely nearly all of the challenge missions as well. Brink is not a bad game by any means, but it's also not the "bestest FPS game evar!". It needs to be taken for what it is, primarily a team / co-op oriented FPS with some single player aspects layered on top.
I question the amount of time that some editors put in with the game, especially those that declare that bum rushing the enemy is always win tactic, or that defense always has the upper hand. Operatives are made to infiltrate, soldier have extra survivability and power in grenades, medics can revive the fallen and buff the living, and engineers can counter a defensive lockdown with offensive turrets and ground control on supply points. With rank unlocks considered, and the wide variety of tactics that can be applied there are many ways to counter either scenario.

None of this would've been seen however if the reviewers failed to take the time to level up, explore tactics, and play with others instead of bots. I managed to play with some writers beyond the initial media event, and for the most part they've given Brink scores in the 7-8 range. There are others though that I never ran into again after the two hour media event, whatever that means.

Pappy and I will be jumping on the PC version in the days to come, so stay tuned for that. My honest impression of Brink on the Xbox 360 version (even though I really dislike playing FPS on consoles) though is that it'd be worthy of a score somewhere around 3.5 to 4/5 stars. Take it for what you will, and we'll follow up more after some hands-on PC time. Anyways, on to the roundup!

Check out
www.DraculinoBjjTraining.com
and
BJJ.ORG l Expert Online Training
POPPA ROTZEE is offline   Reply With Quote